Fall Conference 2019 – Growing Together in Palmer!
The Alaska Association of Student Governments is excited to announce that our Fall Conference 2019 will be held November 1-3 at Palmer High School in Palmer.
The theme of our Fall Conference is “Growing Together.”
The conference committee at Palmer is working hard to put on another outstanding conference. They are busy organizing community trips, guest speakers, special events and (of course) the conference dance. Kim Akers and Scott Baker are our conference hosts. Feel free to contact them at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elections planned for this conference include all six regional representatives and the Junior SBEED rep. Students interested in running can find the application forms here.
NEW BYLAW FOR QUALIFICATION OF ADVISORS
An advisor is an individual that works in a school’s activity program and has direct supervision of students. Beginning with the 2019-20 school year Student Government advisors will be required to complete the NFHS Concussion Awareness and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Courses.
(See ASAA Bylaw Article 10)
Concussion in Sports $0
Sudden Cardiac Arrest $0
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION DATES
• Registration ($130) begins as soon as the website registration link is live.
• Regular Registration ends Thursday, October 17 at 11:59 pm.
• Late Registration ($150) begins Friday, October 18 and ends Friday, October 25.
• Electronic Eligibility (for grades, etc) is required by Friday, October 25.
• Substitutions after October 25 will require a $20 change fee.
• No refunds will be issued for cancellations after October 25.
Reminder: Advisors will pay a $90 registration fee and the host school will be able to register up to 20 student conference volunteers at no cost.
CONFERENCE DATES TO KEEP IN MIND
• E-board meeting on Thursday October 31.
• Registration and “ice-breakers” begin at 2:00 pm on Friday, November 1.
• Opening ceremony – 4:00 pm, Friday, November 1.
• Closing ceremony – 11:30 am, Sunday, November 3.
Delegations requesting bus transportation from the Anchorage airport are asked to contact Kim or Scott to coordinate times.
Availability of sleeping arrangements at the school are by request. More information will be forthcoming. Please contact Kim or Scott.
We’ll see you there!
Interested in hosting a conference?
Conferences are an exciting opportunity for both the students that attend and the schools that host them.
Past conference hosts Anthony Jensen (Wasilla High), Danielle Lewis (Eagle River High), Elizabeth Bender and Lindsey Glenn (Kodiak High), Barbara Petukh Jackson (Mat-Su Career Tech), Vivian Meyer (Skagway) and Kassandra Mirosh (Tri-Valley) are available to lend support and guidance in your decision to become a conference host school. Host schools will also have the support of the AASG executive board. Our parent organization, the Alaska School Activities Association, has also agreed to forward-fund a portion of your conference, which will help with many of the up-front costs of the conference.